CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 2, 2009

Workout Tip of the Week: SMART Goal Setting

Sorry for the gap in workout tips. The holidays have kept us quite busy and frankly, I haven't been working out as much as I'd like to. So just like many of you I am setting some New Year's Resolutions and Goals. As I have thought about them, a few good tips came to mind:

Make your goals SMART!

S: Specific. A goal should be specific in time and amount. For example: I want to lose 10 lbs in 2 months.

M: Measureable. You should be able to measure your success. Rather than saying, I want to be stronger, set a goal to be able to do 50 push-ups by March.

A: Attainable. Set goals that you are likely to achieve.

R: Realistic. Don't go overboard on your expectations of yourself. Set goals that you can achieve in a realistic amount of time. Perhaps set smaller short term goals that work towards a big long-term goal.

T: Timely. Always set a time frame for your goals so that you actually work on them!

Set 3 exercise goals and 3 nutrition goals for 2009 and then watch how great you feel as you have worked to improve your health. Go for it and good luck!

Here are mine:
EXERCISE:
1. Be able to do 30 push-ups without stopping by February 1st. I have always been so weak at push-ups!
2. Create one new strength training routine a week for 6 weeks so I don't get bored.
3. Run for 30 minutes once a week for 1 month.

NUTRITION:
1. Try a new healthy recipe once a week for 8 weeks until March 1st.
2. Eat 3 servings of fruits and vegetables a day for 1 month, until February 1st.
3. Drink 6 glasses of water a day for 1 month, until February 1st.

3 comments:

Nicole and Kevin said...

I saw the link to your blog on Holly's blog and had to "spy" on you guys and see some pictures of your cute little girl. She is darling!!! Your mom took her over to my parent's house over the holidays to say hi, and my mom was telling me how cute she is!

Mikell Sudweeks said...

Thanks Nicole! I love your tips!

holly said...

it was fun hanging out in Boise! Tell Eric that he cleaned my teeth the best ever, seriously worth the 5 hour trip up there! Maybe we'll come and visit you guys again in a few months so my toothless mother can get some teeth!