CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Christmas in SLC

Christmas this year was one of the funnest ones I have had since I was a little girl waiting for Santa. I suppose it was the combo of having my Eva girl, Mike home which was unexpected, and spending quality time with each family. On Christmas Eve we had a superb skiing day with Julia and Craig at Alta that ended with a relaxing evening in the hot-tub and vegging. Christmas morning we had breakfast at my parents house and opened homemade gifts with my family. Yes, my family has picked up the tradition too. The Ballous started it maybe 5-6 years ago and we look forward to it every year. We draw names and make a gift rather than purchase one. It adds so much more meaning and excitement when you watch the person open the gift you made for them. I was so surprised to open my gift from my Mom, who made a scrapbook of my whole life and also a video with a compilation of photos and music. She has been working on it for 6 months and it means so much to me to have all of my memories beautifully compiled in a book with poems. Travis made me a wooden recipe card box which I love since I have started cooking a lot more. Eric's Dad put a bunch of photos on a card table and put a resin finish on the top. It looks really cool. My brother in law, Sam, made Eric a framed saying: "Tools for Success" using dental instruments. Everyone was really creative this year.
My lover gave me a cute orange coat that I adore and I gave him some shoes he was dying to have. Eva got The Little Mermaid on DVD which is probably more of a gift to me seeing that it is my favorite Disney movie, but I'm sure she'll like it.

Although Eva didn't know what was going on, it was so fun to see her with her presents. She got a walker that was pretty exciting even though yesterday was the first day she figured out how to get across the floor. It is so funny to see the look on her face like she's saying, "Look, I can go wherever I want." I keep getting out new dish-towels then I realize she has pulled them off and is sucking on them... She also got 2 new coats. One from Liss, a darling red pea-coat that looks so cute on her. My aunt gave her a little brown fur coat that is so very stylish too.

New walker from Grandma

Made with dental instruments to Eric from Sam

Eric made my aunt Barb some bleach trays for her homemade gift

My scrapbook

Playing the piano with Great-Grandma Donna

Look how Eric's new shoes sparkle!

8 comments:

Dave and Ashley Gay said...

Ashley is jealous because you got to spend time with your families, and I'm jealous because you went to Alta!

Jani Jo said...

You had a perfect Christmas! I love the wonderful homemade gift exchange--such creative ideas! Lil' Eva is beautiful!!!

Annilee said...

What an awesome idea to make homemade gifts. My sister in law did that this year, she made all the kids capes and file folder games for church. It is so great to know how much someone put into it. Eva is adorable. I am so sad that we didn't get to see you while we were there...maybe in the summer!

Em said...

I love that last picture and the title! You guys are adorable. that's all. I miss you already and can't wait to see you and my Eva girl again!

LauriAnn said...

I like the Ballou family homemade gift giving idea! That sounds so fun. I was also going to tell you that I really like your last post. I used your tips to make so goals for myself. Joe and I had a great time with you in Boise. I definitely miss Boise right now, I guess I just need to get used to Seattle again and no sun!

The Johnston's said...

It looks like you guys had a great Christmas! I love seeing your cute pictures! Eva is gorgeous! I hope I hope I get to meet her one day!

Leah said...

looks like a wonderful christmas and I love all the homemade gifts...I am trying to talk my mom into doing something like your mom, but for my gymnastics years :) Your little Eva is just so adorable too...so much fun, i'm sure

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness I can't handle the cuteness! (Refering to Eva - but you and Eric look cute too! :) ) This is my first time viewing your blog and i'm so glad that you have this, so i can atleast feel like i'm updated on your life. We miss you. Thank you for sending your famous cookie recipe! Made them last night and it seems to be about the only thing on my mind right now! I'm gonna pretend like I didn't see your work out tips because i had 2 for breakfast and you know how huge they are. haha. Love you guys.